1. Forwarded the info. to CSR wing in my office and also in my ex-office and another ex-colleague who moved to another company. She is from VJA.
2. I got response from my CSR that we can discuss on this issue. We are meeting tomorrow. Once I get a clear picture, I will meet my ex-company officials and discuss with them as well. I am hopeful that I can get support from them as well.
3. Our volunteer Harish felt that we can spend time on pursuing this issue with govt. and see to that this is done as early as possible by putting pressure on govt. collectively. This way the issue will be addressed as whatever we plan to give would not be enough. He volunteered to spare his time with us to go round the concerned depts.
4. Discussed with Satyavati garu this morning. Collector can take a call at this hour of need but there is no swift action from his end. Based on the rough estimate, it would cost around Rs. 1,20,000 for giving 20 kgs of rice, 1 kg of Dal and 1 packet of oil for 400 families. She suggested that it would be good if some of us can go and access the situation at the ground level. Govt. has to give Rs. 2000 for family to repair their handloom/weaving tools.
5. One volunteer from BHUMIKA can accompany us if we are planning to go. One of my colleagues expressed his interest to come with us. My sister has introduced a volunteer who stays in VJA. His name is Karthik. Our volunteer Vani is in VJA only and she can join us too. We have Sri Sastri garu and his team. Though they might not come with us due to their age, they can offer their support to us.
6. Spoke with Gaurishankar garu also. Usually they do this collection drive in the last week of December. He told that he will pass the information of all the people who expressed their interest to give clothes. They are the regular donors. But we need to collect from them. He also gave the number of one Mr. Ramakrishna of Vijayawada who runs an NGO, ALERT. I spoke with him as well. He said he will also collect the clothes and any other material but before that he will also try to find the ground level info. I gave Lokanatha Rao's number to him.
So far this is the volunteer list who expressed to come with us if we plan to go on this weekend (if we go, we start on Sat'day morning and return by Sunday night):
2. Pavan Bharadwaj
3. Sudheer Dandu
4. BHUMIKA volunteer
The reason that I insist on going this weekend is... I want to hand over the systems in Sastri gari's office asap and as we have this work also, we can complete both these tasks. Some of us can go now and others can go during distribution. Anyway this plan is still tentative and depends on the info. we get in these three days.
The village, Kappaladoddi, is around 3 kms from Gudur. We can board any bus going to Machilipatnam/Bandar and get down at Gudur. We have buses (though not frequent) and sharing autos to Kappaladoddi.
The place is very calm, green and it was actually a pleasant trip to this place from Gudur. There are 745 families in the entire village. Most of them are weavers. Some work as labourers and do other work as well in addition to weaving, kind of part time weavers.
There are three colonies (Malleswara Colony, Nehru Colony, Bhagat Singh Colony ) which are in the low lying areas and five cooperatives. All are friendly with each other and work together to sort out their problems, when required.
Overall the impression was good. The village is more or less clean and neat compared to other places. The only problem is the weather and the rain. The water is stagnant at some places and till it dries they are borne to diseases.
Water got stored in the pits where the looms were set up. All the yarn got damaged and it is a huge loss for them. They have no other option but to stand in that water and work and this results in water related problems.
Their request is for food to sustain themselves for some days. They are asking for 20 kg of rice, 1 kg of Dal and a blanket.
On Wednesday Sudarsan garu and I spoke with Lokanatha Rao. Sudarsan garu gave a wonderful idea. Donors will give money and in return they will get sarees. It would not be like a donation but an advance payment. This way whoever can contribute... can own up a loom and pay for the repair (it ranges from 3000 to 5000 depending on the damage). We will get sarees worth Rs. 500 each for the amount., say after 6 months. Pavan and I tried to sell this idea as much as we can. They told us that they will discuss among themselves and get back to us.
About the Damage
They pooled money and taken the video of the damage during 2008 floods. They told us that this time water level is even more higher. They are preparing the list of the most needy families (200) who are in dire need of support. They gave the CD to me of the video but it got broken. They are going to courier the CD along with the list.
We have taken some photos and will upload them soon.
1. There are some people who got operated under Arogyasree Scheme (including Lokanatha Rao) and they know Chakradhar garu of TeluguOne Foundation who offered financial support to them.
2. An 18 yr old boy is suffering with Cerebral Palsy and the family has spent around Rs. 50,000 but they were told that there would not be any hope for this boy to stand and walk on his own. We took his details and want to refer this case to Dr. A.K. Purohit of NIMS. Dr. Sundar also knows another couple who are working in Neurology Department.
3. Lokanatha Rao cannot weave due to open heart surgery and he requested us for any job. He asked us to give him support to start a petty shop or anything of that sort or work of an attender etc.,
4. As for them, we are the first ones from NGOs who visited them. So far no NGO visited their place and enquired about their plight.
My take on this visit:
If we all can work together, we can definitely pool up the required money (Rs. 1, 20,000) and address their request. In fact, I am trying to raise fund through my CSR and if that works out, we can get support at least for 30 families through my company. We will go and give directly.
Satyavati garu is trying to help them by following up for the support from govt. We can think of other ways on helping them and one of them would obviously be explaining the villagers about RTI and make them file RTI petitions.
Another Important Point
This is where probably we can help them. Asu workers are not being considered as Cheneta workers and these people are being deprived of even this very little help that Cheneta workers receive from the govt. As you all know, weaving is not a one step process and it is in fact the last one. Asu is the second stage (if I remember properly). Without this work, there would not be the required raw material for weaving.
If we are interested, we can raise funds and then plan for a weekend visit to this place. One day we can plan for distribution and the next day, we can visit Repalle and meet MCA (Medical and Cultural Association) members. All of them are above 60 years and are trying to develop their village.
20 kgs of rice - 400 rs. (@20 rs. per kg)
1 kg dal - 50 rs.
1 kg oil - 50 rs.
1 blanket - 95 rs.
If we consider the transportation cost (even from VJA), it might be around Rs. 650 for family. The overall requirement would be Rs. 1, 20,000 to Rs. 1,30,000.
No response from my colleagues yet in this regard. But in INFOR, there is a good progress. Hopefully they will contribute some amount but not decided yet.
I got the CD also now. Will pass this to Pavan Bharadwaj and he will upload that to YouTube.
Pl. let me know if there is any update from your front about the funding.
Till now we received an amount of Rs 40,000/-.
Happy to know that you have collected 40000/.
We from Bhumika have also collected Rs 15000/-
Pl inform us when are you planning to go to that villege.
One person Bhumika will also join you.
bhumika helpline for women in distress
1800 425 2908
1. To get the list of 200 beneficiaries through post/courier by Wednesday. Prepare the 200 coupons with their names.
2. To talk to MRO or any concerned official and see to that we get the required protection
3. To talk to the villagers and zero in on a closed place (all 4 sides) wherein we can distribute as in a Ration shop (to avoid grabbing of items)
4. To talk to the rice vendor and ask him to arrange for the packets in this location by Saturday morning.
5. Distribution should be for three hours maximum (if all goes well). Even if we start by 9 am, we can close by 12 pm. Have lunch and start for Hyderabad so that we can reach by 10 pm.
As decided before the distribution will take place on sunday as some of the members have to attend their duties on saturay.
Me lakshman and praveen(My friend) Will be leavng on friday night and reach their by saturday. We need to talk to the villagers and to the rice mill owner and get the things packed. So tha the distribution ca take place on sunday. we need atleast one day to do all the things.
So i request the volunteers who wish to come please block their dates on sunday.
Greetings from Bhumika Women's Collective!
Look forward for your response.
Bhumika Women's Collective
The event will bemostlycompleted by sunday evening.
I informed him about our pro and requested him to help us by debuting RI at the time of distribution.
He accepted my request.
I gave her Pavan mobile No.
The Kappaldoddi rice distribution event was a great success.
Me, Lakshman, Ranganath and Manoj Reached vijaywada on saturday morning. We started at 9am to the village and reached there by 10.30 am. Before going to the village we went to the nearest police station and informed the SI about the next days event. Mr Abraham(SI) responded very positively and appreciated us for the work that we are doing for the villagers. He siad he would send his men on the next day to see that event goes smoothly.
We reached society office and as discussed before Mr. Lokanathan has prepared the list of beneficieries. We sat with him and rechecked the list, made tokens for all the people, stamped and signed them. At 12.30pm we visited each house and distributed the tokens and completed the exercise at around 7.30pm. On the way we met the Sarpanch and MPTC chairman and few other people who were ex Sarpanch and MPTC Chairman.
The Societies president and secretary, loknathan and few other villagers were present with us through out the process of distributing tokens which helped us in completing the exercise easily. After this we reached society office and discussed the events that are going to take place next day.
All the volunteers reached vijayawada by 11.00 pm and Mr lakshman has started back to hyderabad as he has to attend office next day. He was in no mood to go back but he has no option but to attend office next day. On Sunday morning Chintu and Harish reached Vja by 8.00 am, we started to village at 9.00am and reached there by 10.45 where two volunteers from Bhumika women welfare association Mrs Sharma & Padmaja madam were waiting for us.
There was a small introduction speech given by madam and lokanadhan explained villagers the purpose of our visit followed by speeches from village heads. We started the distribution at 11.45am and it went on smoothly and completed by 1.30pm.
There were minor issues from some villagers that were taken care by president and sarpanch. After the event we all visited few homes and seen how they work and visited one place where there is a BIG AASU some tool they use. Every one were very excited during this visit to homes. All the villagers were very supportive and helped us conduct this event very successfully.
We thank all the volunteers who joined us in this event and to all the people who were helping us in the back ground giving valuable suggestion and tips that made this event Sussessful.
- Hide quoted text -
Thanks to Satyavati madam for taking the initiative and posting the issue to this group and thanks to all those kind hearted people who came farward and helped us raise enough funds. At last one more successful event from BOSF this shows the commitment of the groups and there willing to help the needy. You can find the events pics in the following link. http://picasaweb.google.com/p.pavan.bharadwaj/Machlipatnam?authkey=Gv1sRgCImKgb-8ndP_Vg#
BOSF సంస్థ తరుపున ధన్యవాదములు , నిన్న జరిగిన కార్యక్రమం చాల బాగా జరిగింది.నిన్నటి groceries distribution కార్యక్రమానికి ప్రత్యక్షంగా,పరోక్షంగా సహాయ సహకారాలు అందించిన ప్రతి ఒక్కరికి ధన్యవాదములు. నిన్నటి కార్యక్రమం అంత చాల ఉత్సాహంగా,చక్కటి ప్రణాళిక తో చాల సులువుగా జరిగిపోయింది.నిన్నటి కార్యక్రమానికి మొన్ననే ఒక బృందం వెళ్లి అందరి పేర్లు నమోదు చేసుకొని,వాళ్ళకు
tokens ఇచ్చి,వాటికీ అనుగుణంగానే ధాన్యం ను ప్యాక్ చేయించడం జరిగింది. నిన్నటి కార్యక్రమం విశేషాలు :
(1 ) ఉదయం 9 .00 గంటలకు విజయవాడ నుచి ప్రారంబమై సుమారు 11 గంటలకు కప్పలదొడ్డి గ్రామానికి చేరుకున్నాము.
(2) గ్రామస్తులు ఎంతో ప్రేమ,అప్యయతాలతో మాకు స్వాగతం పలికారు.tokens తీసుకున్న గ్రామస్తులు అప్పటికీ వేదిక దగ్గరికి వచ్చి మంచి క్రమ పద్దితిలో నిలబడ్డారు.
(3 ) కార్యక్రమం ప్రారంబానికి ముందు BOSF కి ఈ గ్రామం గురుంచి ఎలా తెలిసింది,ఎందుకు ఈ గ్రామానికి సహాయం చేయడానికి వచ్చాము అన్న అంశం గురుంచి BOSF ప్రతినిధులు చాల చక్కగా వివరించారు.
(4 ) 11 :45 -1 .30 వరకు ధాన్యం,పప్పు,చట్ని పాకెట్స్ అందరికి ఇవ్వడం జరిగింది.అందరు వాళ్ళకు ఇచిన tokens తెచ్చుకొని ధాన్యం తీసుకోని సంతకాలు చేయడం జరిగింది.
(5 ) కార్యక్రమం అయిపోయాక గ్రామంలో తిరుగుతూ వాళ్ళు మగ్గాలు వేయడం మరియు అవి పని చేసే విదానాన్ని తెలుసుకున్నాం.
(6 ) అలాగే గ్రామంలో బాగా ఇబ్బంది పడుతున్న నాలుగు కుటుంబాలను కలుసుకొని వాళ్ళ సమస్యలు అడిగి తెలుసుకొని వాటిని రాసుకోవడం జరిగింది.
(7 ) గ్రామస్తులు ,ఇంకా గ్రామా పెద్దలు అందరు BOSF సభ్యులను,దానిలో పని చేసే వివిధ సంస్థలకు ,కార్యక్రమానికి వచ్చిన అందరికి కృతజ్ఞతలు తెలిపారు.
(8 ) గ్రామస్తులు ఇంకా వాళ్ళ గ్రామానికి మల్లి వచ్చి ఇంకా ఇబ్బంది పడుతున్న వాళ్ళని,ఆర్థికంగా వెనకబడి చదువుకోలేకపోతున్న విద్యార్థులను చదివించాలని మనవి చేసారు.
(9 ) సభ్యుల మద్య మంచి సమన్వయము,కార్యక్రమం నిర్వించడానికి ముందీ ఇక్కడికి వచ్చి వాళ్ళ సమస్యలు తెలుసుకొని వాటిలో మనము ఏమి చేయగలమో మరియు ఎలా చేయగలమో పక్క ప్రణాళిక వేసుకోవడం వలన కార్యక్రమం అంత చాల సులువుగా జరిగిపోయింది. ఇ కార్యక్రమాన్ని విజయవంతంగా పూర్తి చేయడానికి సహకరించిన ప్రతి ఒక్కరకి కృతజ్ఞతలు.ముందు ముందు మనము ఇలగే మంచి సమన్వయం తో చాల కార్యక్రమాలు చేస్తూ చాలామంది జీవితాల్లో వెలుగును నింపుదాం. ఇట్లు